Last week on my Friday Favorites I talked about one of my favorite recipes- Avocado Chicken Salad. So I figured today I would share the recipe so you can enjoy it as well!
This has been one of my favorite recipes for a while now. In fact when I lived with my friend Sarah I’m pretty sure we made it on a weekly basis. I have seen several different variations of the recipe online but I always ended up tweeking it to my liking. I think I have finally found the perfect formula though.
- Shredded Chicken (half of a rotisserie chicken or about 3 chicken breasts)
- 1 large avocado or 2 small avocados
- 1 T light mayonnaise (optional)
- 1/4 small red onion
- 1 jalapeno
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- juice from 1/2 lime
- 1/2 T minced garlic
- salt & pepper to season
1. Start with shredded chicken. I used half of a rotisserie chicken this time but you can make your own too (fun fact: rotisserie chickens here have stuffing in them! It freaked me out at first I didn’t know what it is). If you are making this in the evening you can always put frozen chicken breasts and a half cup of water in the crock pot on low for the day. When you get home the chicken is tender and shreds super easily. ANYWHO- take the shredded chicken and put it in a bowl. Cut into smaller pieces if necessary.
2. Now take a large avocado and add it to the chicken, mixing and mashing it all together. If you want more creaminess you can add a 1 tablespoon of light mayo. This is up to you.
3. Dice a quarter of a small red onion (or about 3 Tbs.) and add it to the bowl. Dice a jalapeno and remove the seeds (unless you want that extra kick) and add it as well.
4. Chop up 1/4 cup of fresh cilantro (or use the tube kind like I do- in that case add about 1 T) and mix it into the bowl. Add a 1/2 T of minced garlic and mix together. Sprinkle juice from 1/2 of a lime on top.
5. Season with salt and pepper and you are done! Serve with pita chips, on a roll or just eat it on it’s own!
Just take pita bread and split it in half where the pocket is so that is thinner. Then cut the bread into whatever shape you want (or be like me and just rip it into ugly pieces because you are lazy). Glaze the pieces with a mixture of olive oil, garlic salt and pepper. Bake in the oven for a few minutes (between 5-8) at 400 degrees and enjoy. 🙂
Linking up with the Recipe Club at Momfessionals.