A couple weeks ago Christine at A Keane Sense of Adventure nominated me for a Liebster Award. Christine is a fellow Houstonian (and Katy ISD alumni) who shares her gorgeous travel photography on her blog. My favorite fact about her is that her adorable son was chosen to participate in the Mutton Bustin’ competition at the Houston Rodeo a few years ago (if you have no idea what I am talking about, you should read about it here). I was so honored that she chose my little spot on the internet as one of her favorites, thanks Christine!
If you are wondering exactly what the Leibster Award is, let me fill you in. It’s an online award that is given by bloggers to blogs that they love (usually with less than 1,000 followers). Once you are nominated you answer questions written by the nominating blogger and nominate some blogs that you love. So for your reading pleasure this Friday, here are my responses…
1. What are 3 things you love/miss about your hometown?
Tex-mex (especially queso), spending our weekends with friends and family, and our cute, little neighborhood.
2. What is the last movie you saw? And would you recommend it to others?
I think it was Birdman. I had mixed feelings about it, it was very different than any movie I had seen before. I WOULD recommend American Sniper to the 5 people that haven’t seen it yet.
3. What is your favorite city in the world and why?
Hmmm. Probably London, ever since I went there for the first time with my family I said that I wanted to live there. My parents beat me to the punch though, maybe one day…
4. How did you come up with your blog name?
Our last name is Alkek, we live abroad and I am a big fan of alliteration.
5. Name a movie that ignites your wanderlust.
I am not much of a movie watcher (they are just too long) so that’s a tough one. Oh wait, ever since I saw The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants I have wanted to go to Greece. It still remains unchecked on my 30 Before 30 list.
6. Have you been somewhere that turned out to be completely different than what you imagined?
Maybe I am just really bad at researching places in advance but I feel like this happens a lot. Most recently though, the port city of Nadi in Fiji was a lot less developed than we expected it to be with all the tourism in the area. It’s crazy to think how much money must be going into the resorts and tours but somehow it doesn’t seem to be making it’s way into the local economy.
7. Are you a planner (like me!)? Or are you spontaneous when it comes to traveling?
Travis is a planner extraordinaire so I usually leave our trips up to him. When it is up to me I do like to have a plan of some sort but also leave room to see where the day takes us.
8. Can you speak more than one language? If so, what are they?
I spent a solid portion of my childhood living in South America, so I do speak some Spanish. It should be better than it is, I need to do some brushing up in that department.
9. What is the most embarrassing thing that has happened to you while on a trip?
When we were at the Whitsunday coast I got reallllllly sunburned on the last day. When I went to get dressed to go to the airport I realized that my maxi dress (the only thing comfortable enough to wear) was not compatible with any of the undergarments I had brought. I ended up having to go commando on the plane but I had so much aloe vera on the back of my legs that my dress kept sticking to them and making it more see through. It wasn’t a pretty sight. Also, when Travis made me take this picture at Alcatraz, complete with sound effects.
10. What is your favorite post that you have written (please provide link)?
Probably Christmas in Fiji because it was such a memorable trip that I love looking back on.
I nominate my favorite Aussie expat bloggers: Abby from Abby’s Roads, Emily Anne from EAT All Over the World and Laura from Laura and Peter Down Under.
Here are your questions, can’t wait to read your responses!
1. What is your favorite thing about living in Australia?
2. What surprised you the most about living here?
3. If you could only watch one TV show for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?
4. If you could move anywhere else in the world where would it be?
5. What is your favorite and least favorite thing about blogging?
6. What’s your typical brunch order?
7. What’s your next travel destination?
8. What’s your favorite book you have read lately?
9. What’s the first place you take visitors to?
10. Favorite post that you have written?
Have a great weekend! We are heading off to Stradbroke Island for a birthday celebration/costume party. We are dressing up as our favorite 90’s TV power couple, any guesses who?!?